Monday, August 13, 2012

My Daughter as a Divining Rod

My daughter has become a center-point of focus from which the majority of my decisions now swing. I always knew my life would change with her arrival, but I had no idea how often I would reflect myself off of her. There are many decisions I make now, as far as my behavior goes, that are determined by the question "would I want my Matchgirl to do this?" or "could this possibly be detrimental in some form to my Matchgirl?" - essentially, I am held to a higher standard than I would hold my solo self to, as I want so much more for her. It is safe to say that I never strove to be the best woman I could be, until I became a mother to my daughter. Her Father, my HMLA, was instrumental in encouraging me to be my better self, and I consider my life to be changed for the better with his presence. I think he brought me to a place with my self that I would have taken many, many more years to reach without him. He's been my second mirror-gate, just like in the Neverending Story, wherein I had to look inside and face my true self. It is because of this strength he showed me through the uprooting of my weaknesses, that I can strive so consistently to be the best example of a woman as I can possibly be for my daughter. I want to be, in my present self, what I wish for her in her future self.


"There are old heads in the world who cannot help me by their example or advice to live worthily and satisfactorily to myself; but I believe that it is in my power to elevate myself this very hour above the common level of my life." - Henry.David.Thoreau

No comments:

Post a Comment