Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Morning in all its Glory

Today is a day filled with excitement and suspense, as my HMLA's brother (BP) and his girlfriend (Shelkat) head to the hospital to work on the birth of their son. I'm a little nervous on Shelkat's behalf as she is being induced (starting about 13 minutes ago) due to her overly high blood pressure, and I know that the induction process with an epidural can be a lot longer (and harder on the baby) than naturally giving birth. Also, it can up the odds for ending up with a c-section. Having had to have my own emergency c-section (birth story later), I'm keeping my fingers crossed that little RBs (said to-be-born son) will cooperate and make his appearance in a timely manner. Not to mention the fact that BP apparently has NO idea what to expect in this day as he and Shelkat didn't go to any childbirth classes. (At one point BP was telling people that the baby was breech so everything was fine.) This is Shelkat's 2nd child (she has a 9 year old daughter, we'll call her Nook) so she kind of just breezed through the pregnancy with a been-there-done-that-when-I-was-17 mentality, without thinking, until a few weeks ago, that mayyyyybe she should have prepared BP a little better for the miracle of birth. So yes, here's hoping today is as easy-peasy as giving birth to a child can be. I'm excited to meet the little Matchgirl's cousin and for my HMLA to be a blood-uncle. (He's already an uncle through my niece and nephew but he inherited them when they were 9 and 8 so he missed all the exciting first years.)

Today is also fun, because of how different it was than my labor day. My Matchgirl's Nana has laughed over how completely opposite Shelkat and I are in our personalities. She says it makes life a lot more interesting to have two "daughter-in-laws" (we're both still actually living in sin, and not married) who are so different. I'm very detail and information-oriented and Shelkat is more la-di-da in her approach. We're going to drive each other crazy with future birthday planning for Matchgirl and RBs, I can see it already.

(scenario for Matchgirl's future birthday)
Me: Shelkat, I haven't heard if the kids are going to be at Matchgirl's birthday. Can you let me know something soon? I'm trying to prep with a good headcount.
Shelkat: Oh, I don't know, that's still 2 weeks away right? I'm sure they'll be there. But, I'll let you know. Probably by next week or so.
Me: *headdesk*

(scenario for RBs and Nook's future birthdays)
Me: Shelkat, what are you doing for RBs/Nook's birthday? When is it going to be?
Shelkat: Oh, I don't know, maybe we'll do something this Saturday.
Me: Are you sure this Saturday? We had some stuff planned for Saturday but we can cancel them if so, so we can be there.
Shelkat: No, we're not really sure. I'll let you know Friday, probably.
Me: *argh*

No comments:

Post a Comment