Wednesday, May 20, 2015

“Probably there is nothing in human nature more resonant with charges than the flow of energy between two biologically alike bodies, one of which has lain in amniotic bliss inside the other, one of which has labored to give birth to the other. The materials are here for the deepest mutuality and the most painful estrangement.”
― Adrienne Rich

Even though Maiden is only 6 weeks old, the differences in personality between she and her sister are already making themselves evident. Matchgirl was a very laidback baby who could be set down for naps and sleep next to her father playing video games, without stirring. Maiden knows the minute you set her down and makes it very clear she has no plans to sleep by herself. I've tried having a conversation with her about how co-dependency is a bad habit to fall into, but 6 weeks old is not quite the age for the lesson to be absorbed. Matchgirl was always smiling and laughing; Maiden, who does smile and coo, has more serious, thoughtful moments, where she wrinkles her little brow up and provides a good mimicry of her uncle's face. Matchgirl has maintained a pretty steady personality, so it will be interesting to see if Maiden does the same.
I love being the mother of daughters, in fact, all I ever did want was daughters, so I have been blessed to have been given my two. We will probably drive my HMLA crazy with our combined chatter (Matchgirl already does) but he also gets to reap the benefits of the loving attentiveness that comes with being surrounded by a house full of females. Matchgirl already advocates for his footrubs, which tickles him to no end.
Matchgirl is starting pre-school at 3 years old in September. She is uber-excited. She begs to come to work with me, every day, and has her own little desk at her Mammaw's house where she makes her "notes" on little post-its. I'm delighted to see her interest in learning new things, and I hope she maintains that drive and curiosity throughout her life as she matures, much as I did. Heck, I still love learning and am curious about everything. Being bored is not really an affliction I suffer from.
My niece is now 14 and growing into a beautiful young lady. I hope my daughters lead as much of a charmed and happy life as she has had (minus the whole mother leaving when she was 4 thing). My brother makes me prouder by the minute in his role as single father raising his two kids. He's been promoted to run the title side of business at the law firm he works for, at just 33 years old. Last night, when I spoke to him, he was shopping with my niece for a formal dress for her 8th grade formal dance. Her first dance! She is so excited (and anxious) about starting high school next year. I am making her a little fairytale story soundtrack filled with anecdotes about when I was her age, as a welcome-to-high-school gift. Since her mom is not around, I want to make sure she still has that attentive woman-to-girl passing on of knowledge that should be given to every young woman as she grows and matures. Besides, I practically raised her from 4 to 10 and I love her immensely. She was my first "daughter" and made raising my own so much easier. I want to introduce her to all of the music, books, film and art and places on the map that moved me, in the hopes that they may move her in a positive manner as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment